[TowerTalk] Advice for Pacific Northwest Installation

Larry Gadallah lgadallah at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 00:07:15 EST 2021

Hi all:

I live on Orcas Island, which is a pretty geologically rugged place.
Cribbing some information from some friendly local geotech engineers,
I found the following comments:

- "In the North Puget Sound, around the San Juan Islands, soil
consisted of loose unconsolidated sand and gravel with variable
amounts of silt over bedrock"
- "generally mapped as consisting of meta-sedimentary formations and
conglomerate"
- "The rock quality designation (RQD, developed by Deere, et al 1967
to estimate rock mass quality) number for the top 5 feet of the
bedrock encountered generally ranges from 0 to 67 percent (0 to 50
being poor quality or highly fractured rock, 50 to 90 good quality or
slightly to moderately fractured rock, and 90 to 100 excellent quality
or intact rock)."

In practical terms, my yard has a lot of fractured rock, but some
areas of large rocks (the size of a regular car, or larger). I'm
interested in putting up 100-120 feet of Rohn 45G but I have no clue
how to deal with the base and guy anchors for such a scenario. Does
anyone have any advice or experience to share?

Thank you es 73,
--
Larry Gadallah, NM7A/VE6VQ