[TowerTalk] Reuse PL-259

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Feb 16 15:51:12 EST 2021

On 2/16/2021 8:29 AM, Paul Beckmann wrote:
> This thread has really highlighted the divergence "make due with what you
> have" vs. "spend what you can to get the best" mindset.

It's a bit more than that. Poor quality connectors can fall apart, go
intermittent, arc at high power. I've owned a lot of used rigs over the
years, all good quality, vintage rigs bought for a fraction of their new
price. Junk connectors are a terrible way to pinch pennies, or to "make
do." They can easily cause antennas to appear to be broken, causing us
to chase our tails troubleshooting. They can cause power amps to fault,
and in some cases, result in destructive failure. I don't want to lose a
$5K power amp because I played cheap on a $4 connector.

73, Jim K9YC