[TowerTalk] Wire Antenna Supports

K9MA k9ma at sdellington.us
Tue Feb 16 21:36:18 EST 2021

There are all sorts of metal and fiberglass telescoping poles available.
With guys, you really don't need much of a base.  Carbon fiber is
overkill if weight isn't a big consideration. Guys can be Dacron rope.
You may need temporary guys on the first section and a step ladder to
get it up initially. Masts are fairly cheap and easy to put up, so I
wouldn't worry about making it survive a worst case storm. They also
won't do much damage if the fall down. Depending on the antenna at the
top, I wouldn't use the really tiny top sections.

I'm not sure what would happen to a fiberglass pole with a feedline
running down it in a lightning strike. It would probably depend on how
well the feedline was grounded. In any case, those masts aren't expensive.

I frequently use a 40 foot fiberglass mast for temporary operations. I
just set the base on the ground, with a tent stake to keep it from
moving sideways. I guy the first section with rope and tent stakes, then
push up the sections one at a time. I don't put additional guys on it,
but I don't use it in high winds. For a more permanent installation, or
a taller mast, I would add guys further up, as necessary. Probably even
up to 70 feet or so, sufficiently strong guys on the first section would
probably hold it up in light winds long enough to get it fully extended
and tighten the upper guys.

73,
Scott K9MA