[TowerTalk] Wire Antenna Supports

W7TMT - Patrick W7TMT at outlook.com
Wed Feb 17 00:08:07 EST 2021

Mike,

Since you indicated guys were not a problem, you might want to check out the telescoping masts that Max-Gain Systems offers.

(https://mgs4u.com/fiberglass-push-up-masts/?v=7516fd43adaa)

I don't have one of their full push up assemblies but a custom unit I assembled out of their parts. It supports the lower portion of an 80' inductively loaded vertical on 160 M that I erect  on my sailboat in the saltwater of Puget Sound near Seattle.

Great quality parts, The tubing is pultruded fiberglass of excellent quality, the clamps are really great. The 50' unit has a top section diameter of 1" not the wimpy fishing pole stuff. You'd still need a top guy to counter the pull of the wire antenna but these are real masts not overlong fishing poles. Worst case, you might need a two step ladder/stool to be in the best position to push up each section. That's it, nothing more. With guy anchor points in the right spots, easily placed from the ground level by people of our age,  and some decent Dacron/poly braided line, you'd be good to go. The graphite stuff is great if you need to carry it around, as in a portable operation. You don't. Keep it simple but sturdy.

No financial interest,  just a satisfied customer of their stuff. BTW, another "famous" vendor (not the super cheapy guys) offers similar components but the mast clamps I inspected didn't seem nearly as secure. I've spent money with the "famous" guy too, but in this case Max-Gain seemed, for my needs at least, to be the better choice.

The flimsy masts have their purpose. I have several from Jackite (https://www.jackite.com/) which I've found to much better quality than the Ham suppliers offer. However, in this case the Max-Gain pushups are likely to better meet your needs to support a real antenna.

Good luck with your project.

73,

Patrick. W7TMT