[TowerTalk] Weird RFI at remote location

Chucks Laptop w6ajwchuckfarr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 21:57:04 EST 2021

I'd suggest that you, or your neighbors may have a solar power system,
inverter, batteries that might be the culprit. Solar power is ubiquitous
now and not all of the associated equipment operates cleanly. I made
careful measurements before and after my solar install. While my system
has proven to be fairly clean, I did notice some odd birdies once the
install was complete. Fortunately, none of them has affected my Ham Band
reception. It does show up on the spectrum analyzer. If the solar isn't
on you property, but on adjoining property, your beam headings will show
approximate direction. You may have to attenuate the antennas is you are
looking and seeing level differences in order to refine your search. A
portable AM radio with a loop stick antenna can be helpful once you've
come closer to isolating the possible offender. If you find it to be a
solar system, conventional choking devices, ferrite beads, etc can help.

73

Chuck, W6AJW