[TowerTalk] Weird RFI at remote location

K9MA k9ma at sdellington.us
Sat Jan 2 23:38:31 EST 2021

Noise from electronic devices can have that impulse nature, for which
noise blankers are effective. The AM audio often has harmonics of 60
and/or 120 Hz, as does that of power line noise. Most often, the
clearest difference is the RF spectrum: broadband for line noise,
harmonics of something below about 100 kHz for electronic devices.
Switching supplies, etc. usually has a rather broad peak centered on
each harmonic, maybe 5 kHz wide. Their spectra are usually asymmetrical,
and often they drift around a lot. There may be more than one such
source, in which case it's harder to figure out the fundamental frequency.

The narrow band harmonics from routers, etc, are entirely different
animals. They're narrow and stable, clustered around harmonics of some
fundamental. They're not on exactly the same frequency because of
crystal tolerances. When you turn your beam, you often see some go down
and others go up. Those are probably your neighbors' routers.

73,
Scott K9MA

--
Scott  K9MA