[TowerTalk] outdoor junction shelters

George Dubovsky n4ua.va at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 10:24:45 EST 2021

Well, John, I have measured the functional equivalent. I once ran a piece
of coax on the ground to a 160 rx array element. It was in the Fall and I
didn't notice that it ran by the front door of a groundhog's Winter home.
Come Spring, the whistle pig emerged and took offense at the coax and
proceeded to chomp a foot-long section to where it was just the center
conductor and the barest hint of braid. Before I scrapped it out, I put it
on the VNA and measured the performance at 1.8 MHz. If I wasn't concerned
about the aesthetic and environmental issues, I could have put it back in
rx service on 160 meters...;-)

I believe VE1ZZ was using CATV hardline on the lowbands also, and that was
the gist of the QST article.

73,

geo - n4ua