[TowerTalk] Hardline splices and W0AIH

Paul Husby husby002 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 13:07:58 EST 2021

Just to set the record straight:

I don't know what K9MA might have heard, but I do not know of any
instance in the many MILES of feedline installed at the W0AIH contest
station where there is a splice done in the crude manner Scott described.

Paul did occasionally make some beautiful homebrew splices of larger
Heliax where he would use a piece of copper tube to make a good friction
splice of the center conductor, then take a spare chunk of the cable,
split enough of the corrugated outer conductor to make two pieces to
sandwich the shields of the two cables to be spliced, solder the
sandwich in place and seal it up per the usual standards.  I wouldn't do
it at 1296, but the result is barely detectable at HF.

I will admit to going up to the 40M beam at 200' and making the kind of
crude splice that Scott described, but that was in the middle of CQWW/CW
after I accidentally pulled apart the RG8 tail (faulty limit switch on
the Telrex rotor).  OK at 7MHz for a temporary fix.  And I used tape.
No pop bottle shields at the Farm to my knowledge.

73
Paul Husby, W0UC
trustee of W0AIH