[TowerTalk] Tower guy line Anchor Positions

K9MA k9ma at sdellington.us
Sat Jan 23 12:14:59 EST 2021

Keep in mind that, unless the tower is very stiff, the horizontal
component of the tension in all the guy wires will be equal. That means
that if the anchor points are not equidistant from the tower, the total
tension in the guy wires will not be equal. The greatest tension with be
in the guy wire anchored closest to the tower. That suggests that the
tension in that guy wire should be the usual 10 percent or so of
breaking strength, and let the others fall where they may, as long as
the tower is plumb.

This is all from Statics 101 many years ago and simple trigonometry. The
real tower experts on this list may disagree, and I'd defer to them.

73,
Scott K9MA