[TowerTalk] Phillystran Tension Gage

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 13 19:46:09 EDT 2021

Calibrating against the actual fiber is *probably* good enough for ham
tower work, BUT

Be aware that the Kevlar fibers of Phillystran behave very differently
than steel wire.  The Kevlar fiber is very strong axially with about 60%
the modulus of steel.  The fiber also has very complex lower modulus
behavior longitudinally, the fibers are anisotropic.

The Loos gauge is based on the isotropic (equal in all directions)
modulus of steel, approximately the deflection of a beam center loaded
and simply supported at both ends.  A simple equation that can be looked
up on the web, that doesn't apply to Phillystran.

If the Kevlar "beam" was isotropic, then the Loos gauge on Kevlar would
deflect 1/0.6 more on the same diameter as EHS (IE the exact diameter of
the actual fiber or wire bundle if all air was removed - weight per foot
is the easiest means to get the value for both).  A 0.22" diameter of
the PE Phillystran sheath, isn't that value.

So perhaps the best use of a Loos gauge is to get all guy tensions equal
and use a simple force gauge to measure the tension.  Sometimes cheap on
ebay ("dillon force gauge") and all mechanical (D shaped steel ring and
dial gauge).

They can be made on a milling machine, google for instructions.  Like
these.  They work in tension or compression.

https://scienspec.com.tw/userfiles/files/MODEL%20X.PDF

Grant KZ1W