[TowerTalk] TX-472MDP cable replacement

fritz at k4oaq.com fritz at k4oaq.com
Sat Jul 17 13:43:23 EDT 2021

I'm almost done.

Two short cables are done.

Long cable, 110 ft, seems to be abt 10 ft too long.

It's strung thru correct path (99% sure) and ready to connect end to "eye
hook" cable & secure to bottom of top section.

Do I cut it? The next to the largest section mite be retracted a little too
much, on the order of 6 inches.

I've raised it (the tower is tilted over horz) abt a half inch by turning
the motor by hand.

The nut on the "big tension spring" is as loose as it will go.

I assume I tighten it after securing the end of cable to the top section.

The spring is very rusty but really doesn't look like it will break.

Should it be replaced?

It seems logical to me that the long cable (all cables came from US Tower 20
years ago) provided wud be too long so one wud never end up with it not
reaching.

But it worries me that it's 10 ft too long.

My main question is whether I shud cut the cable.

Fritz, K4OAQ