[TowerTalk] Phillystran Tension Gage

R. David Eagle kb8nnu at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 08:42:30 EDT 2021

 I thought I would give everyone an update on what I cam up with to tension the .22 philly at low tensions.  My goal was to have the tension between 100-175lbs.  Not many gauges will handle that low of tension with that diameter Soooo this is where necessity steps in.  I did some searching around and it seems that bike spokes can be tensioned within this range and I found one gauge that I thought would be worth testing.  I setup a test setup with a digital hanging weight scale with a bucket to hold dome weights and a section of the philly in between to test the deflections as i added weight. I incremented the weight in the bucket and took measurements then plotted it out on excel to come up with a line equation for my philly.  I was pretty impressed at the results and the repeatability.
Here is the gauge I used...Riiai Red MTB Bicycle Electronic Tension Meter Mountain Road Bike Wheel Spokes Checker High Precision Indicator Accurate Stable

| $39.99 |  |

|  |
Riiai Red MTB Bicycle Electronic Tension Meter Mountain Road Bike Wheel ...

Features1. The TC-02 Tension Meter accurately and reliably measures the absolute tension of each of the spokes i...

DaveKB8NNU