[TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotator Questions

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Wed Jun 2 21:54:59 EDT 2021

I used Yaesu G2800DXA rotators at my station in Aruba and had no issues. I
never took one apart but if the ball bearings are on an aluminum housing I
would not switch to stainless steel just for the sake of changing it. Unless
you like galvanic corrosion I would definitely NOT substitute stainless
steel hardware with the Yaesu aluminum base and aluminum mast clamps in a
corrosive environment. Also, I did not use a shock absorber.

John P4/KK9A

Stan Stockton ZF9CW wrote:

Hoping someone with experience with Yaesu rotators can help me.

1.  DX Engineering website and other websites say the G-1000DXA has one
hundred 7/16" diameter ball bearings.  The Yaesu G-1000DXA manual says
ninety eight 3/8" diameter ball bearings.  Which is the correct diameter?

2.  I think the ball bearings in these rotators may be chrome as opposed to
stainless steel.  I'm planning to put up a G-1000 DXA on Cayman Brac.
Because of corrosion should I buy whatever size they really are in 440
stainless steel and replace them? Anything else I should do if I muster the
courage to open it up?

3.  Am I going to have to drill the Rohn 25G rotator plate or are they
already drilled to work with the bolts to mount the Yaesu G-1000DXA?

4.  Looked at the shock absorber plate after a post on here the other day.
Would four of something like this in between a couple of plates do the same
thing? Any need to have this or no?  I've never owned a Yaesu rotator
before.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333896390330?epid=1567122718&hash=item4dbdc696ba:g:
eEcAAOSwUJtgMXv4:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!72761!US!-1

4.  In case I ever decide to buy one, curious to know whether a G-2800 will
fit in 25G top section with flat plate top?

Thanks... Stan, ZF9CW