[TowerTalk] TOWER LIGHTS

Jeff DePolo jd0 at broadsci.com
Fri Jun 4 06:36:04 EDT 2021

> Don't rule out uneducated, and reactionary imbeciles, either...

Gee, you have them there, too?  :-)

> We had a 199.9' tower put in the community.  Met all requirements.  Local short
> term political attention whores (neighbors getting "elected" into
> positions they think matter) insisted on a light, which was pointless,
> since minimal craft level by federal law is 1,000'.  "Someone might hit
> it!"

We had the opposite idiocy here.  Cell company wanted to build a monopole along a major highway.  Local zoning board insisted that it be painted light blue.  Why light blue?  So that it "blends in" with the sky.  They insisted on picking the exact color of light blue...from color swatches...during a public meeting held at night.  The blue tower stands out like a sore thumb...it screams "look at me!  look at me!".

Studies have been done over the years by utilities, FAA, the military, et al. regarding this subject.   Here on the east coast, you will find water tanks, high-voltage power line structures, etc. painted "Philadelphia grey" to blend in with the natural background.  That color isn't appreciably different than galvanized steel after it has been out in the weather for a year or two, i.e. the most inconspicuous steel tower is the one that isn't painted at all.

The military (Navy, if I remember right) did a study to determine what the best color(s) are to make a lattice tower stand out during the day: black.

> I'd start with, "Why?", then as they attempt to answer, they may find
> one isn't needed.  Alternately, maybe it is, but the answer should
> provide valid information.

I agree, but then again, having spent enough time out of country, I can wholly understand Bill's concerns about being a gringo in a foreign land.  It may be a lawyers, guns, and money situation.

					--- Jeff WN3A