[TowerTalk] TOWER LIGHTS (FOLLOW UP)

cqtestk4xs at aol.com cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Sun Jun 6 08:17:40 EDT 2021

In Belize it is necessary to get approval from all kinds of places.  First, you have to get  a "no-objection letter" from the sub-division head in which the tower is located.  That was obtained easily from her as part of the purchase.
You must also get a letter of no objection from the commercial broadcasters association.  Bizarre, but obtained.
Then you must get a letter of no objection from the Civil Air Board of Belize.  You pay $350 USD to a retired general who comes out to the site to "approve it.  He was the one who wanted the lighting.  Since I am noit currently in Belize it is difficult to work with him on this matter at this time.  I forgot to mention they want the standard FAA paint job.  I was thinking ahead on this one and already painted it a few months ago.  $350 USD is about what most of the people make in a month.  Ah, the perks of being a retired military in a third world country.
Making this more interesting is there is a WISP 100 ft tower less than 1/2 mile away with no lights.  Not put up by Gringos.
Since we are dealing with a third world country, here is the path I'm heading down.  I want to give them what they want...sorta.  I purchased two side lights for $30 USD each which will be modified to mount in the tower.  They never stipulated other wise.  At Home Depot they have 4000 lumen LED bulb for $19 each.  The guy will come out to inspect in the daytime, but should be able to see how bright they are in the daytime.  Since I'm in a part of the country far removed from his government office (almost a 2 hour drive) and where he lives I'll never see him again.  I guess with the tropical environment, the lights could easily not work quite quickly.  (Smile)  And, getting repair parts does take a long time.
One would think putting up a tower in a third world country would be easy.  I put up half a dozen 200 footers in FL and it was easy.  The two in Hawaii were more difficult (2.5 world country).  But by far, the most difficult was a 130 footer in Belize.
I love V31 , but it is third world country.
Bill K4XS/V31XX