[TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotator Questions

Zoli Pitman HA1AG ha1ag at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 6 11:58:46 EDT 2021

 Hi Stan,

See below.

    On Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 3:14:48 AM GMT+2, Stan Stockton <wa5rtg at gmail.com> wrote:

 Hoping someone with experience with Yaesu rotators can help me.

1.  DX Engineering website and other websites say the G-1000DXA has one hundred 7/16” diameter ball bearings.  The Yaesu G-1000DXA manual says ninety eight 3/8” diameter ball bearings.  Which is the correct diameter?
49 pieces on both sides, 98 in total - I can confirm (Dont put in the 50th!!) . 3/8"is more likely, I can check next week exactly.

2.  I think the ball bearings in these rotators may be chrome as opposed to stainless steel.  I’m planning to put up a G-1000 DXA on Cayman Brac.  Because of corrosion should I buy whatever size they really are in 440 stainless steel and replace them? Anything else I should do if I muster the courage to open it up?
If I were you I wouldn't open it up unless you are ready for some heavy learning. It is not straightforward to put it together with the right positioning of the end switches and both halves.

4.  Looked at the shock absorber plate after a post on here the other day.  Would four of something like this in between a couple of plates do the same thing? Any need to have this or no?  I’ve never owned a Yaesu rotator before.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333896390330?epid=1567122718&hash=item4dbdc696ba:g:eEcAAOSwUJtgMXv4:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!72761!US!-1

It is a good idea especially if you have big antennas and/or a location with gusty winds. It is better that the rubber absorbs the twisting forces and not anything else. 2800 has no soft start and soft-stop but some controllers like ERC 1 by DF9GR can do iirc

4.  In case I ever decide to buy one, curious to know whether a G-2800 will fit in 25G top section with flat plate top?

yes.
Put in some overvoltage protection on the control lines. the control box doesn't like static.

73, Zoli HA1AG