[TowerTalk] New tool - toroidal ferrite core inductor calculator

Dan Maguire danac6la at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 17:39:47 EDT 2021

VE7RF wrote:
>>> I only have Openoffice, it opens ok, and I can toggle through all the tabs, BUT it comes up as....read only mode.

The TFCI Calculator is not usable with either OpenOffice or
OfficeLibre.  The calculator does much of its work by using Excel's
Visual Basic for Applications macro language.  Neither OpenOffice nor
OfficeLibre fully support that language.  There are no plans to port
the calculator to any other macro languages.

>>> Looking at the various attributes of a type 31 2.4 inch OD toroid, by both  fair rite..and also amidon, I am not seeing any difference in properties between the 2 x manufacturers.

That question was covered in part here:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/new-tool-toroidal-ferrite-core-inductor-calculator.768222/page-3#post-5887187

The following Amidon materials appear to be sourced now from NMG, not Fair-Rite:

Amidon 43 = NMG H
Amidon 61 = NMG M
Amidon 67 = NMG M2
Amidon 69 = NMG M3

Amidon type 52 *appears* to be still identical to Fair-Rite type 52.
However, the Amidon "Specifications" page (
http://www.amidoncorp.com/specs/ ) states "We're currently updating
this page."

I never found an actual datasheet for Amidon type 31.  A link to a
page showing the u'/u'' plots, not just physical dimensions, would be
much appreciated.  Amidon has not responded to email requests.

As to the questions of more cores, larger core sizes, and type of coax
or other winding material, I'll ask Jacek, SP3L, to address those.

Dan, AC6LA