[TowerTalk] Antennas for SO2R station

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Tue Mar 2 02:00:45 EST 2021

Hi Jamie,

About 20 years ago, I helped build an SO2R setup at W6UE. At that time,
we had mono band Yagi antennas for 10, 15, and 20 meters stacked on the
same mast with ~7 to 10 feet spacing. We also had a 40 meter mono band
Yagi on a separate tower. Marty N6VI built a really nice set of LMR-400
stubs for us that we installed right where the coax lead from each Yagi
connected to the common port of the Radio1/Radio2 select switch. We put
ICE-419 bandpass filters between each transceiver and the corresponding
Alpha 78 amplifier.

As with others who have shared similar experiences, you could receive on
one radio without desense while transmitting with 1500 Watts on the
other radio as long as you stayed off the harmonic of the transmitting
radio. We used various radios in the setup. Initially we ran a TS950SDX
alongside a TS940S. Later on we used a pair of FT1000MP MK V's. In some
instances the radios were setup for SO2R at one operating position. In
other cases, we split the setup into a pair of one radio operating
positions for doing multi-operator efforts in the SS contest.

Consider adding a set of stub filters to augment your bandpass filters,
especially if you plan on running an amplifier and the power handling
capability of the bandpass filters dictates that they have to be placed
at the input of the amplifier. I think both W2VJN and K9YC have written
good stuff on how to configure the stubs correctly.

Good luck. It's a real hoot when you get it working right.