[TowerTalk] Antennas for SO2R station

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Mar 2 15:12:54 EST 2021

On 3/2/2021 3:04 AM, sawyered at earthlink.net wrote:
> It sounds like it's the radios or grounding.  I run 20 and 15 with 2 of my
> monobanders that are 7 ft from each other.  1.5kW.  No stubs.  Dunestar
> filters at the radios before the amps.  Excellent grounding and coax.

Do you mean "bonding" rather than "grounding?"  An earth connection has
nothing to do with crosstalk between antennas, nor to any form of RFI
within a station, nor with making TX antennas work better.

> No issues.  Perfectly quiet except near the harmonics.  I could reduce those
> with stubs but honestly, they rarely get in the way.

If we have bandpass filters between rig and amp, stubs are needed to
suppress harmonics from the power amp that land on harmonically related
frequencies that we're likely to be working at the same time, like 80 to
40 and 40 to 20. They are not applicable for 20M to 15M. I can't
remember the last time I worked 20 and 10 at the same time.

73, Jim K9YC