[TowerTalk] Rope

Mickey Baker fishflorida at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 19:59:11 EST 2021

The strain is in the direction of the sheave. Typically, a shackle is used
at the top of the pulley, away from the sheave. All surfaces exposed to the
line are smooth, so even a "floating" line under sudden slack won't be
pinched.

In the referenced block, the faces of the sheave are completely covered by
the frame. The space between the sheave and the frame is many times smaller
than the cordage for which it is built. Without a cordage failure (where
all bets are off anyway) there is no place to capture and crimp the cord.

This block is rated at about 200 pounds working load, so, given that it is
a quality product, the user can expect no deformation under normal antenna
loads for 1/4" lines.

The design should keep tension on the cord. This is why most wire antenna
hoist systems are weighted.

The typical hardware store pulley may deform under load, has a lot of space
between the pulley wheel and the frame (slop) and can capture a small line.

Mickey Baker, N4MB
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
*“The servant-leader is servant first… It begins with the natural feeling
that one wants to serve, to serve first. Then conscious choice brings one
to aspire to lead." Robert K. Greenleaf*