[TowerTalk] Copperweld

Steve Jones n6sj at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 14 14:15:20 EDT 2021

Tom,
I used Copperweld on my 5-band cubicle quad for 25 years, as well as on an 80M dipole.  In initial assembly attempts I had put tight bends in the wire at a some connections.  That created cracks in the copper which exposed the steel and led to rust and a broken wire.  But I found if I avoided sharp bends, and carefully cleaned the copper surface with fine steel wool just before soldering, there were no spots of exposed steel.  And I always sprayed a bit of Krylon on the solder joint once it had cooled.  No more problems with exposed steel and breaks.  And these wire antennas went through our El Nino storms with 100mph wind gusts!
73,
Steve
N6SJ