[TowerTalk] Wind Noise

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Tue Mar 16 17:06:46 EDT 2021

On 3/16/21 12:16 PM, Mike Smith VE9AA wrote:
> All this "rope around the elements" talk sounds very intriguing, if you
> don't experience ice & wind where you live.
>

> I have lost so many antennas and towers to radial ice loading coupled with
> moderate winds, that I would never, ever do this here in New Brunswick
> Canada.

You need to do what they did at the big HF station at the tip of the Bay
of Fundy (I don't know whether it's in NB or NS.. it's close to the
border.. I was looking at the antennas, not the boundary signs <grin>)

Run big low frequency current through it to make it hot.

You know, that would work for a Yagi, run an insulated wire out to the
tip either inside, or as the "spiral" around the outside. Run DC or line
frequency current through it.  The "how to get power to the tower and
wires" is "exercise for the reader".

I've seen this done for dishes too, but I confess I've never seen it on
a LPDA or Yagi.