[TowerTalk] HFT

W7TMT - Patrick W7TMT at outlook.com
Wed Mar 17 16:19:33 EDT 2021

I contest from a 38’ sailboat located near Seattle. When people comment on the difficulties of a small city lot it brings a smile to my face. My “lot” is 12’ wide at it’s widest and 38’ long with a 45’ aluminum mast in the middle.

While it would be nice to get a small beam to the top of my mast 45’ above the saltwater, it isn’t practical nor safe. I have to put the antennas up on Friday morning and take them down on Monday. It’s only due to the kindness of my powerboat neighbors I can do that as my antennas occupy their airspace.

I’m using two light weight inductively loaded dipoles with  featherweight telescoping fiberglass poles as supports.  They get hoisted aloft using spinnaker halyards and fly just below the headstay, sailor-speak for the top guy wire at the pointy end of the boat. Those, combined with two different vertical configurations depending on the contest, are used on 160/80 to complete the system

We do what we can with what we have. As long as it’s fun all’s good. Tnx for your suggestion however.

73,

Patrick, W7TMT