[TowerTalk] RG-402 wound on FT-240 core

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Thu Mar 18 14:36:58 EDT 2021

When using the solder-soaked braided coax, bear in mind that it if you
flex it enough the solder starts to crack. Often you'll see the solder
first crack in the area where the shield intercepts the connector body.
If you are going to form a choke and leave it alone, that probably won't
be an issue. I don't have any experience using coax like this in an
outdoor environment, so I would be hesitant to wrap it around a stack of
toroids and then hang from the feedpoint of an antenna without some sort
of enclosure to protect it from the environment (and to provide
mechanical strain relief for the connectors). YMMV.

73, Mike W4EF...............