[TowerTalk] 12V transient/noise filtering?

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Wed May 12 11:57:10 EDT 2021

On 5/12/21 8:46 AM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
> I would point out that the LT3045-1 has provisions built
> into it to combine multiple instances of the chip to
> provide max current that is a multiple of 500 mA.
> The scheme avoids wasting significant power in so called
> "OR'ing" resistors (that force equal current sharing)
> by running all chips from a common reference voltage,
> which you can't do with ordinary voltage regulators.
>
> The LT3045-1 has a very high PSRR bandwidth so you probably
> don't need any filter inductors.
>
> As was pointed out, it's not for every application, but
> it does have some nice features.
>
> Rick N6RK

It's an awesome part, along with its predecessor the LT3042 and now they
have negative versions of them.
And for those that care, it's not subject to single event latchup.

However, in  *this* application, I'm seeing big (>50V) inductive
transients from relays and motors, and those would be quick death for
those parts.  So I'm thinking I'm going to be getting some Tranzorb
devices (basically back to back zeners) to clamp the transient.