[TowerTalk] OptiBeam OB2-40M

Mike Zak mike at brookblue.com
Fri May 21 15:30:17 EDT 2021

A lot of this, IMO, depends on the specifics of any given station and its location.  A site that is “HFTA-friendly” can compensate a lot for an antenna that’s not “EZNEC friendly.”  I’m pretty confident that the coils on a Cushcraft Shorty-Forty are much higher loss than the coils on either an Optibeam or a JK, but in the end it just might not matter for some stations and locations.  I can still remember K1AR’s review in CQ Magazine, May 1987, where John was, shall we say, “effusive” about the Cushcraft.

When I concluded the XM240 was not for me I put a longer boom on it and turned it into a W6NL Yagi-Moxon and that worked quite well.

Mike, W1MU