[TowerTalk] OptiBeam OB2-40M

VE6WZ_Steve ve6wz at shaw.ca
Sat May 22 11:11:50 EDT 2021

Wes,

You are correct.
The original numbers for the CC coils from Brian's program were far too pessimistic, especially regarding his form loss algorithm.
Brians new coil program is more realistic.

In my opinion, the biggest "gain loss” on the XM-240 design comes from tuning the reflector too low in frequency in order to maximize the SWR bandwidth, and achieve a direct 50 ohm feedpoint match.
CC did this because it yields a nice plug-and-play Yagi with a huge SWR bandwidth that will cover the full band from CW to SSB.

Of course, the “problem" with retuning for maximum gain and F/B  is a narrow SWR bandwidth that will not cover the full band and therefore the need for relay switched inductor element tuning to move across the band.
This is really not that difficult to implement, but likely more complex than most operators want.
Also, a feedpoint matching network will be required (hairpin or L) to match the lower feedpoint impedance.

Steve, ve6wz