[TowerTalk] OptiBeam OB2-40M

Jeff Blaine KeepWalking188 at ac0c.com
Sat May 22 18:13:29 EDT 2021

Picking the "right" 40m beam is hard.  So I appreciate the struggles the
OP is going through.

I went through this same process when putting up a 40m tower a couple of
years back.  40m seemed the toughest of all the bands to work on because
there are good arguments to be made for just about any solution.  Here
in the midwest, wind and ice are a persistent issue and monster beams
are tough to keep up.  My final solution was a stack of the 2-element
moxon-looking JK beams.  Lower is fixed on EU; top rotates.  It seems to
work a lot better than my 40m 4SQ reference, and the best part is that
despite a lot of bad wx since putting them up, they remain operational,
intact and work just fine.  Fingers crossed!

Some compare & contrast of the various performance metrics (these are
JK) is on my web page where I talk about some of these decisions.  While
this is JK-centric, the general discussion is applicable to whatever
your favorite brand happens to be.

https://www.ac0c.com/main/page_acc_towersantennas_40m_stack.html

Good luck OM!

73/jeff/ac0c