[TowerTalk] OptiBeam OB2-40M

VE6WZ_Steve ve6wz at shaw.ca
Sun May 23 10:29:02 EDT 2021

I have received a few direct email questions about this thread…..
Just to be clear, the reason for inductor switching at the Yagi elements is NOT only to get a “good, low SWR" match at the driver.

The “SWR” and “matching” at the feedpoint is really NOT the issue.

The real issue is tuning the REFLECTOR across the band.  That is what determines the gain and F/B performance.
The PARASITIC element needs to be incremented across the band to maintain maximum gain and F/B performance.

Yagi SWR has very little to do with performance.

Steve, ve6wz

> [...]
>
> For anyone interested in why SWR bandwidth and Yagi performance are NOT related, I really encourage you to read my paper and focus on the *modelling section* where I show the relationship between driver tuning, SWR bandwidth, and FB-Gain performance.  Its really easy to get a shortened Yagi to have a big SWR bandwidth, but gain performance will be crap across part of that full range.
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IksvND0LfeSBcH6j7UEWkyjkIvexDIgX/view <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IksvND0LfeSBcH6j7UEWkyjkIvexDIgX/view>
>
> Steve, ve6wz
>
>> On May 22, 2021, at 5:19 PM, Artek Manuals <Manuals at ArtekManuals.com> wrote:
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> Thanks for the proper proper analysis...8^)
>>
>> Ignoring possible SWR losses as many will unlikely go to your due diligence on matching which I applaud..I would argue that .5 to 1.3db is hardly worth the physical time and effort
>>
>> I would also argue however on your side about the relays... If one chooses high quality relays, with plenty of margin on current and voltage protection and then properly mounts them in a well thought out (relays at the top screened drain holes at the bottom ) weather resistant enclosures, they will likely out live most operators ...8^)
>>
>> I use an approach similar to yours to move the resonance around on my 160 and 80M antennas. I have had only had one problem here in the� jungles of west central Florida which was my own fault ( Part of the curse of having ADD)� and I left the door to the enclosure open� over night� and all were exposed to the rain overnight . Things got a little spectacular when I dumped 1.5KW into the 160 box the next morning ...8^(
>>
>> Dave
>> NR1DX
>>
>> On 5/22/2021 5:36 PM, VE6WZ_Steve wrote:
>>> Dave et al,
>>>
>>> This has drifted off topic, but I dug out my 4NEC2 Cushcraft XM-240 models and coil calculations.
>>> (please be aware I have not checked the details of this modelling since I did it some time ago, so there could be errors)
>>>
>>> Using Brian's coil 3.33, which is not the latest version, the original CC coil with 68 turns of 12 ga wire on a fibreglass form gives a Q of 258 on 7 MHz and a resistance of 1.5 Ohms.
>>> A high Q coil made from 3/16� Aluminium tubing, 11.5 turns, 5� diameter and 5� long gives a Q of 890, and a resistance of .6 Ohms.
>>> (these two input values do not yield identical inductance, but are close enough for estimation)
>>>
>>> In 4Nec2 I model the Yagi at 21m high.
>>>
>>> For the original CC coils I insert 1.5 Ohms in series at each of the 4 coils to account for the loss.
>>> This yields the following gain:
>>> 7.010-10.8 dBi �this is peak gain (SWR 2:1)
>>> 7.100-10.2 � � this is the 1:1 SWR point at resonance (R=48.6 Ohms)
>>> 7.200-9.48
>>>
>>> Using the HI-Q coil I insert .6 Ohms in series at all 4 coils to account for the loss.
>>> This yields the following gain:
>>> 7.010-11.3 dBi this is the peak gain (SWR 2:1)
>>> 7.100-10.52 � �This is the 1:1 SWR point.