[TowerTalk] Mast Lifting

Jon Zaimes jz73 at verizon.net
Sun May 23 19:58:55 EDT 2021

Ed,

We use a capstan winch at the ground and 1/2" double braid polyester rope
(rated for 7000 pounds) to lift a mast. At the top of the tower we place a
2.5" rescue pulley several feet above the attachment point to the mast, just
above the rotor. In tight quarters I have a smaller pulley in the bag.

Two 3/8" saddle clamps are placed on the mast just above a bearing or
bushing or the tower top, as a safety measure. Lifts are done in short
increments with the clamps being moved every foot or two.

A saddle clamp also is used just above the rope attachment so the rope can't
slip up the mast.

Three kayak straps are used to keep the mast centered in the tower, unless
there's an extra bearing plate above the rotor to take care of this.

Using the winch at ground level (with my son Adam N3TTT there) is better
control than using a come-a-long  locally at the top of the tower, and keeps
the climber's hands (mine) free for other things. We use GMRS radios to
communicate so there's no chance to be drowned out by the neighbor's lawn
mower (they seem to know when we're coming).

73/Jon

Jon P. Zaimes, AA1K
Tower climber for hire
http://www.aa1k.us/
Cell: 302-632-2353

Reviews of AA1K tower work on eham website:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/12922

Hug your favorite tower every day, and always stay connected to it.