[TowerTalk] Mast slippage

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Wed May 26 23:08:52 EDT 2021

The minor diameters of both 5/16-24 and M8x1 are within 1% of each
other, so the area resisting tension is the same.

Grade 8 tensile strength 150,000 psi.  18-8 SS 70,000 psi so a simple
comparison is the Grade 8 is over 2x the strength of 18-8 for same minor
diameters.

There is some data about 18-8 stretch at less than yield which from
experience I think is true.  My mast clamp choice is always Gr8 in NF
threads as the NF has a slight gain in minor diameter and is usually the
choice for high strength bolts.

Higher strength materials are available if you are willing to pay $$.

My belief is most slip problems are caused by not using a torque wrench
and sequential tightening plateaus up to the specified value.  A dry Gr8
3/8-24 tension is 7900# when torqued to the spec 47 ft-lbs.

Then check in a few days and retighten whatever has yielded/moved a bit
(everything does).

Grant KZ1W