[TowerTalk] OCFD: Should I be able to do better?

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Thu May 27 15:01:48 EDT 2021

> I don't know what to expect in performance from this type of antenna.
> A nanoVNA screen shot of sweeping the antenna from 7-30MHz is
> available at
The SWR/Impedance values you report are typical of a 40 meter OCFD.
The values are certainly within the range of the auto-tuner in most
quality transceivers *and* represent minimal additional feed line
losses.

> The closest resonant frequency is 6.68MHz, with an VSWR of 1.012 and
> an impedance of 50.1-j576m ohms.

That is *NOT* a resonant frequency - not with -j576 Ohms.  Your measured
value at 7.15 MHz (+j7.11 Ohms) is much closer to resonance.  I would
estimate the actual resonant frequency ( j0.0 Ohms) to be about 7.13
MHz.  Note: *Resonance* is defined as j0 ohms regardless of the real
part of the impedance.

 > Are these reasonable results for an OCFD?

As above, the values are reasonable for an OCFD.

> I'm used to tuning monoband dipoles, where I calculate the percentage
> off, then use this percentage to shorten or lengthen the dipole,

As others have suggested, you may be better served to use a parallel
dipole - particularly since you do not appear to be interested in 17
and 12 meter coverage.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV