[TowerTalk] OCFD: Should I be able to do better?

N4ZR n4zr at comcast.net
Fri May 28 10:20:17 EDT 2021

For a number of years while I lived in a townhouse I used an inverted-V
fan in the trees behind the house with 10M, 20M and 40M elements.  The
40M elements had W9INN coils near the ends to permit 80-meter
operation.  The woods had more than one unlikely heavy object (like box
wrenches and even, sadly, a roll of solder) permanently suspended by
their throwing lines from branches.

That said, I'm a convert to the Carolina Windom type of OCF dipole.  I
think it may be a function of the radiating vertical segment of feedline
(above the line isolater) , but it really plays on 80 and 40.  One
caution, though - it's unusable on 15 meters.

73, Pete N4ZR
web server at <http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.