[TowerTalk] OCFD: Should I be able to do better? (TowerTalk Digest, Vol 221, Issue 30)

Kevin Zembower kevin at zembower.org
Fri May 28 13:17:15 EDT 2021

Joe, thanks so much for your clear and concise answers to the questions
I asked.

It's funny that so many folks have immediately proposed a fan dipole
instead of an OCFD. Now that I'm looking at it, I think I should have
worded the subject line differently. I didn't mean, "Can I do better
than an OCFD?" I meant, "With this data on my OCFD, did I do something
wrong building it, or is this the way it's supposed to look?"

The choice of a fan dipole is especially funny, in that that is the type
of antenna that this OCFD replaced. I had to take my old fan dipole down
when my neighbor asked nicely that I unbolt the 12 foot 2x4 from his
fence, that was supporting the southern end. Without that support, the
conducting part of my antenna was about two feet from the 240vAC
powerline into my house. With the shorter end of the OCFD to the south,
this is not a problem.

Also, I just wanted to experiment with antennas. Antenna parts are
cheap, and I can build myself all the types of antennas I'm interested
in. My next attempt will be a DIY version of the AS-2259 NVIS antenna
for 80/40/20M, to connect to the Maryland Hospital Net once a month.
Then, I'd like to build something like the vertical DX Commander SOTA /
POTA EXPEDITION Antenna Kit for portable operations.

Regarding the "...6.68MHz, with an VSWR of 1.012 and an impedance of
50.1-j576m ohms" that's exactly what the nanoVNA-saver software
reported. I ran another, shorter sweep and got resonance at 6.954MHz,
with a VSWR of 1.023 and an impedance of 51.1-j14.7m ohms, as can be
seen in the screen shot at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvtne58p2lm6r7b/Screenshot%20from%202021-05-28%2013-09-38.png?dl=0.

Thanks, again, for your advice. I've really enjoyed this discussion.

-Kevin
KC3KZ