[TowerTalk] 4 SQ issue

Alan Swinger awswinger at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 2 17:49:47 EDT 2021

Subject: 4 Square Issues
In response to the apparent intermittent issues mentioned, I recently went through a full Full System analysis/check of my 40M 4 square w/ the help of the DX Eng tech team. My concern was that I was observing degraded performance (based on on-air sig repts) in the NW direction & also saw some unusual SWR readings in the NW direction. The Verticals are homebrew alum 2 in (30 ft) to ½ in extensions, and the 4 phase coax lines and phasing box are from DXE – had the system up for 10 yrs w/p issues and worked great.
The system check started w/ determining if the issue was in the antennas and/ or the phasing lines. So, here are the steps:
* Disconnected all phasing lines from the antennas and the Box
* Dropped all antennas except one – checked the SWR w/ my MFJ 259 analyzer, and the repeated for ea of the other three verticals to see if any SWR readings were bad . . . this also allowed me the opportunity to flush all kinds of junk (bugs, bird stuff etc) from the tubing and clean up the tubing interfaces; and also to re-tune ea vertical independently.
* Did the same procedure with the phasing lines connected – read the SWR to ea of the verticals thru the phasing line to determine if any reading was unusual. Readings were all OK after both of these steps
* Reconnected all phasing lines to the DXE phasing box and checked SWR from the transmitter – Still no crazy bad readings!
* So, the DXE tech and I agreed that there was a problem in the Phasing box. I sent it and they changed out a bunch of bad relays (10 yrs old!), I put it back on the air and all is well . .. working DX again!

Hope this helps.
73 and Good DX – Alan K9MBQ