[TowerTalk] 4 SQ issue

Dick Green wc1m73 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 21:05:09 EDT 2021

I’ve had similar symptoms with my 40m 4-square over the years, and it’s usually a problem with one or more relays. My ancient Colatchco box uses open-frame relays with clear plastic covers. Typically, I find one or more relays with corrosion or burned/pitted contacts. In some cases I was able to clean up the contacts, in others I had to replace the relay. At one point I installed relay sockets so I could quickly swap in spares and take my time cleaning the compromised relays.

It’s never been clear to me whether the burned/pitted contacts were are result of hot-switching or arcing due to water/mineral infiltration. I use the 4-SQ mostly as an RX antenna in diversity mode with my 40m yagi, but every now and then I use it as a transmit antenna. Could be the relays are marginal for 1500W (maybe the Colatchco box pre-dates that limit?)

Mark, your description doesn’t say whether the 4-square SW gain was OK when you installed the array, and has now deteriorated, or the gain has always been sub-par in that direction. If it worked before, then I’d suspect the relays, phasing lines (critter damage) or a connection that came loose.

73, Dick WC1M