[TowerTalk] Salvage Heliax

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Nov 4 18:23:35 EDT 2021

On 11/4/2021 3:01 PM, Gary wrote:
> How do folks go about salvaging heliax?

Unless it has lightning damage, physical damage, or water penetration
into the dielectric, it's likely perfectly good. Here's a write-up I did
about ten years ago about things I learned while adding a lot of used
and new reel ends to my station.

http://k9yc.com/HardLine.pdf

I suggest that you start by downloading as much as possible of mfr data
sheets, paying attention to which connectors fit which mfr's line. Hard
line has been evolving over the years as cell systems have proliferated,
with much of the evolution centered around making installation go faster.

Continue learning by posting here about specific cable types, to learn
from the pros who do it for a living, and the OTs who have been through
it before.

One of the first things I would do is make measurements from one end
with a well-calibrated vector analyzer, with the other end shorted and
open, export the data to AC6LA's ZPlots to compute loss parameters, and
compare with published loss data for the product. Also a good TDR plot
sweeping at least 500 MHz wide, viewing with software that does the
inverse FFT of the sweep to display time/length. I use (and recommend)
the VNWA, designed by DG8SAQ and using his operating software. For these
preliminary measurements, if there are no connectors on the line, the
analyzer may be connected with short pigtails for "good enough" data.

73, Jim K9YC