[TowerTalk] Metal Thermal Rate of Expansion

Gedas w8bya at mchsi.com
Sun Oct 3 14:45:05 EDT 2021

It is has been WAY too many decades since my last ME classes to be
confident in my estimations so I am wondering if someone can give me
their opinion if I am going to run into trouble.

The YT video (URL below) shows a new 10 GHz elevation mount I am making.
For a bearing I chose to use 6061-T6, ~2" OD tubing rotating inside a 2"
ID brass collar. I had to turn down the aluminum tubing a bit to fit
nicely inside the brass collar which now allows it to turn freely w/o
slop but this is at room temperature.

My fear is that on a very cold day or a very hot day my home made
bearing may seize up on me.

Can someone run a quick calculation? I see that my aluminum and brass
have 13.0 and 11.3 (for yellow brass which is a WAG for what I have). I
am leaving off the units and exponents etc.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-expansion-metals-d_859.html

Here is the URL that shows the homemade bearing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps_PRXaByz4

Gedas, W8BYA EN70JT

Gallery at http://w8bya.com (under repair)
Light travels faster than sound....