[TowerTalk] RF Surge Suppressor at Base of Tower or Shack SPG or Both ?

Gene Smar ersmar at verizon.net
Tue Oct 12 20:59:38 EDT 2021

Shawn:

      My antenna/coax configuration is a bit different in that I have an
antenna switch at the bottom of the tower.  All of my HF antenna coax
lines terminate on that switch before an antenna is selected and passed
on to the shack's coax line.  So all of these lines go through
Polyphasers before they hit the switch.  In that way even the
non-selected antennas/coax lines are protected.  I do not have a surge
arrestor on the coax line from the switch to the shack. My thinking is
it's entirety is underground for about 50 feet and the likelihood of an
induced current on the shield is negligible.  (I expect some
disagreement on this.)

      However, the commercial practice is to place arrestors at the
building/shack entrance, on a single-point ground panel that is
connected to the earthing system.  No arrestor is placed where the coax
leaves the tower; only the shield is grounded at that spot. Therefore, I
would recommend installing the arrestors at the shack entrance.  If you
have a legal copy of Motorola's R56, refer to the figures on page 7-42
for a pictorial.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F