[TowerTalk] RF Surge Suppressor at Base of Tower or Shack SPG or Both ?

Gene Smar ersmar at verizon.net
Wed Oct 13 17:19:40 EDT 2021

Jim:

      Thanks for your note.  With my antenna switch at the tower, I see
no need to put a suppressor on the single run of 50 feet of coax that is
entirely underground or within steel boxes at the tower base and outside
the shack, although my station's SPG is inside the shack box and all
coax shields connect to it.  A suppressor on that line would be useless,
wouldn't it?  What am I not understanding?

      I installed the suppressors on each antenna's coax feedline at the
tower box so as to protect the antenna switch's contacts, especially
when open; I will concede that the antennas do not need protection.
Yes, if any of my coaxes went directly from the antenna to my SPG and on
to the shack, like a typical commercial installation, I would install a
suppressor at the SPG.  My future plans include installing a small
satellite egg-beater array for 2M and 3/4m birds on our home's roof.
I'll certainly install a suppressor for that line on the SPG.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F