[TowerTalk] Cable Ties

CEPitts cpitts at ec.rr.com
Thu Oct 14 17:04:18 EDT 2021

Not too long ago there was a posting on a topic and there was the
mention of cable ties for securing coax and control lines to tower legs
on the runs. It was the part of a overall discussion unrelated
specifically to cable ties. I believe John KK9A may have been the one
who mentioned it specifically those cable ties made/sold by Thomas &
Betts as some of the best to use based on integrity of strength, UV
rays, weather, etc.

If so anyone on the list using them can you recommend the product #'s
you are using for runs of 50-150 feet going up 25G, 45G, 55G legs?  The
product # sequence runs something like "TY????MX" where the question
mark "?" represents a numerical designation anywhere from 2-4 digits
followed by the "MX"

I want to obtain some of the recommended proper sizes, strength, UV,
weather, etc. and low maintenance issues for at a least a few years
based on what you may get a big box retailer of less quality for my
stash. Reliable replacement and installation for use in the future .

Also what is the thought on once installed wrapping the cable ties with
2-3 layers of tape? or more than 3 layers? no layers?

Environment I am dealing with mild winters, hot summers, thunderstorms,
salt air, 1-4 possible hurricanes a year (Lucky this year) sorry for
folks LA and TX, especially W5WZ! Shout out Scott!

Thanks for any and all input in advance

73! Charles "Ed" K5OF