[TowerTalk] Cable Ties

Joseph B. Fitzgerald jfitzgerald at alum.wpi.edu
Fri Oct 15 09:21:05 EDT 2021

I just inspected a 90 foot tower I installed for a friend 35 years ago.  I used the insulated solid copper wire technique every 5 feet to secure two runs of 3/4" Heliax, a  rotor cable and some RG-59 that went to a TV antenna.    While the years have caused a couple of issues on that tower - the TV antenna has shed most of its elements -  the cables and wire ties looked just fine despite the best efforts of New England's wind and ice.

Since then I have spent a lot of time removing and re-installing Scotch 33 black tape on other projects for the same purpose.   It starts to look pretty sketchy after 10 years or so.   I think I will be adding a roll of insulated copper wire to my kit before the next project!

-Joe KM1P