[TowerTalk] RF Surge Suppressor at Base of Tower or Shack SPG or Both ?

Gene Smar ersmar at verizon.net
Fri Oct 15 14:03:45 EDT 2021

TT:

      I read, possibly here back in the late 90s, a recommendation to
wind a few turns into the rotator control cable at the tower top and
bottom to create some impedance against lightning surges.  I did that,
using short pieces of 2" PVC tubing and tie wraps to fasten the turns.
I also ran the control cables, along with the coax, inside my Trylon
tower's angluar leg members.  Finally, I installed a set of Polyphaser
MOVs at the SPG outside the shack.  That is, the surge arrestor for the
control cable runs down the tower and through the steel box at the
bottom, into the conduit system and up to the SPG where it hits the MOVs.

      I realize that a direct strike onto the tower will probably blow
right through the control cable whether there are a few turns in it or
not, but it was cheap.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F