[TowerTalk] Rotator Cable Protection

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Mon Oct 18 23:07:42 EDT 2021

On 10/18/21 6:05 PM, Michael Tope wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Yes, I understand about the lack of shields on most rotator cables.
> That is in part what prompted my question. It seems like the rotator
> cable is "the elephant in the room" when it comes to grounding and
> bonding. When you consider the cost of a rotator, especially some of
> the larger ones designed to turn large HF arrays, it seems like it
> would be something important to address.
>
> By the way, what has your experience been with the reliability of
> having MOVs up on your tower(s)? I am asking in part because I am
> helping with an installation that sits on a high ridge where the
> rotator is controlled via 1700ft of heavy duty control cable (multiple
> 12 AWG conductors), which in this particular case, happens to be
> shielded. I am trying to decide whether bonding the shield at the base
> of the tower and up at the rotator will be sufficient, or whether
> adding some transient protection at the rotator and/or the tower base
> is warranted. Climbing the tower is a PITA, so I don't want to include
> transient suppressors that need frequent replacement (facility rules
> require that we hire a professional tower climber to service anything
> on the tower that can't be reached from the ground).

Exactly - say you put your transient suppressors in a box at the base of
the tower.

BTW a good reason to not use MOVs, since they "wear out".

the motor is probably good for several kV overvoltage - even if you
punch a hole in the insulation from a transient, if it's running at
normal voltages, it doesn't cause a problem.  I had a problem with some
5 and 10HP motors run off electronic variable speed drives. There's an
issue with these drives (of some vintages, 20+ years ago) where there
can be transients. That punches through the insulation - the motor runs
fine, but it trips the ground fault protection.