[TowerTalk] 80 Meter trap design needed

Mike Ryan mryan001 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Oct 23 16:01:53 EDT 2021

Jim et al, I have been using the HyPower Antenna 160/80 antenna here over
the last 3-4 years.  They have two models one a bit longer than the other. I
use the longer model here. These work well on 80m but as Jim points out they
are going to be narrow on 160m. Another facet that took some adjusting to is
that fact that the ends of the antenna get EXTREMELY hot, no doubt a result
of the transmit time on FT8.  Even when both bands are adjusted to a very
acceptable SWR, the 160m or long portion of the antenna will go so hot that
it melts your typical 'dog bone' insulator.  It won't matter if this
insulator is glass, plastic, or ceramic, it will BREAK and the antenna will
fall to earth...trust me.  What I found that does work are very long and
heavy (14" long weighing close to a pound I would say) ceramic insulators
with metallic inserts pressed into the ends where the antenna's wire passes
through (one side) and your dacron line or parachute cord goes through the
other side. These have held up well.  Nothing else I have tried has ever
worked.  The coils on this antenna I also coat with JB Weld clear epoxy so
that the coating from the 'factory' holds up better under uv, etc.
Otherwise, the gauge of wire used (#12 solid) is robust and the coils appear
to be made well. I like the antenna.  Your results may vary but be wary of
cheap insulators when using one if running high power.  -Mike, K4CVL