[TowerTalk] Modeling Rohn 25G in K6STI's AO

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Mon Oct 25 12:09:01 EDT 2021

Mark,

Another possibility is to consider K9YC's advice by making a "fan
vertical". It's the same idea as a fan dipole, except instead of putting
multiple dipoles on a common feed, you put multiple monopoles on a
common feed. I do a variation of this with my 55ft tall 160 meter
top-loaded vertical. I have a piece of aluminum angle stock U-bolted to
the tip of the 160 meter radiator so that it sticks out horizontally. I
don't remember the exact length but it is something on the order of 18
to 24". There is a pulley on the end of this horizontal piece. I use the
pulley to haul up 80 and 40 meter wire radiators. The 40 meter vertical
is separated from the 80 meter wire by ceramic ladder line insulators. A
short section of the 80 meter vertical slopes down from the pulley to
make up the difference between a 1/4 wavelength on 80 meters and the
55ft height on the 160 meter vertical so technically it is an inverted-L.

In my case, I don't have a true "fan vertical" because the 160 meter
vertical gets wonky when you try to feed power into on 80 meters even
with the 80 meter vertical in parallel (it caught on fire when I first
tried it). To get around this I use an Ameritron RCS-4 coax switch at
the base of the vertical to switch between the 160 meter portion and the
80/40 meter portion (the 80 meter and 40 meter vertical radiators are
tied together at the base).

The nice thing about the "fan vertical" approach is that the three
radiators share a common radial system, so I didn't have to set about
paving an additional area with copper to get verticals going 80 and 40.

73, Mike W4EF.........