[TowerTalk] Beverage Antenna Mounted 12' Above Gorund

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Sep 1 01:00:33 EDT 2021

Good analysis, Dave. Beverages depend on lossy soil underneath them to
work, and, as we all know, soil varies widely from place to place, and
even locally. I have very poor (rocky) soil, and the terrain under it in
my woods is quite irregular. For example, my EU/VK reversible Bev starts
at about 5 ft, running over the earth that drops gradually and then more
steeply to to a creek, losing about 30 ft of elevation, then climbing up
a steep rise to its termination point. Over that run, it's height above
ground varies from five feet to 10-12 feet. For most of its length, it's
held up by laying on top of brush.

As 160M super-op has often said, "any Beverage is better than no
Beverage." His run through terrain at least as irregular as mine, and
he's deep in a ravine!

I do, however, object to "RF ground," and so do authorities like N0AX
and K6WX.

73, Jim K9YC