[TowerTalk] Field Strength comparison

Stan Stockton wa5rtg at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 22:04:15 EDT 2021

I’m thinking that since 22.5 meters on 80m, for example, would put the RX antenna on top of radials from the closest vertical and it would be way too close.  I would not be surprised if you measured field strength at that distance and then just removed the radials from one of the four verticals plus or minus about 45 degrees in the direction of the RX antenna you would see a dramatic difference in field strength.  Perhaps the radial field at minimum should be included in the diameter which would be about 1.414*66 or about 100m.  That would get you to about 250m which would seem more like it or at least better.

However applying that formula to a vertical dipole with a diameter of one inch… IDK.

Stan