[TowerTalk] Field Strength comparison

Wes wes_n7ws at triconet.org
Sat Sep 4 23:05:13 EDT 2021

For an illustration try this:
http://www.cuminglehman.com/wp-content/uploads/Introduction_to_Antenna_Test_Ranges_Measurements_Instrumentation.pdf

and look at the figure on  page 4.  This shows the usual antenna range situation
where the test antenna is receiving a signal from a point, or small aperture
source.  This is how I would run this comparison.  I think, but do not know for
sure, that I would use the larger dimension of the vertical(s) as the "D" in the
equation.  The idea is to have a plane, or near plane, wave over the whole
aperture of the test antenna in both directions.  Note that some antennas, Yagis
for instance, can have an effective aperture larger that the physical aperture.

Wes  N7WS