[TowerTalk] Field Strength comparison

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Sun Sep 5 11:31:50 EDT 2021

> On 2021-09-04 11:19 PM, Lux, Jim wrote:
>> D =30m (across the 4 square diagonally) is almost certainly bigger
>> than the height of the 80m elements (20m?)
> Even the distance across the diagonal doesn't include the capture
> area of the individual verticals.  If one looks at the trends for
> antenna stacking, the capture area of a single vertical/dipole
> would be in the neighborhood of a half wave perpendicular to the
> element and on the order of a full wave in the plane of a dipole,
> half wave in the plane of a vertical.

Effective area (or capture area, as you describe it) is not really the
relevant thing here - that relates more to the radiation resistance, and
in any case, the effective aperture of an infinitely small dipole is
3/(8 pi) * lambda^2.

But here, you're more concerned about whether the wavefronts from
element 1 and element 2 are "sufficiently close" that the represent the
far field (also, often given as Fraunhofer condition or where a
spherical wavefront is the same as "plane" for the antenna under test).

> I'd always understood the requirement for an antenna range to be
> something like five or 10 wavelengths so that the measurements
> were beyond the near field.

Near field has multiple meanings - one is "inside the line where the
energy stored in the magnetic and electric fields is equal to the energy
being radiated away" - the other is "where the illumination is
effectively planar, so a gain measurement is accurate"

The 2 d^2/lambda is the latter, and I think you hit on the other
constraint - you don't want to be so close to the antenna(s) under test
that you are in the reactive near field.  The magnetic field drops off
as 1/r^3, the electric field as 1/r^2, and the radiated field (what you
want to measure) as 1/r, so you need to be far enough away that the
inverse r cubed and inverse r squared terms are "small" relative to the
radiated field.

https://www.antenna-theory.com/basics/fieldRegions.php has a nice
discussion

> If one takes a lesson from the FCC/broadcast "proof of performance"
> measurements, they measure field strength at one kilometer (one
> mile?).  That (1 km) works out to be 2 wavelengths at the lowest
> frequency in the broadcast band and 6 wavelengths at what used to
> be the top of the band.

1 mile, and that's chosen for historical reasons, probably (i.e. a round
number), rather than a detailed consideration of the fields.